Malevolent Light Bulb Agenda

 

by Renegade Sleuth

 

What’s the big idea? Well, a light bulb just went off in my head and I was thinking that old fashioned bulbs with filament wire are desperately inefficient not to mention a bit safe and boring. We’ll never soft kill enough of the population if we don’t stop everyone from using these old incandescent light bulbs and promote the use of energy saving light bulbs instead - you know the ones containing mercury which is highly toxic to humans.

 

Sounds evil and well orchestrated? Well it is, especially when you take into account a report from Alab Laboratory in Berlin which concluded that energy saving light bulbs shouldn’t be left on for extended periods, particularly near people’s heads, as they emit carcinogenic chemicals and toxins, including phenol, naphthalene and styrene.

 

Let’s take a closer look at just some of the poisons emitted by these energy saving light bulbs, also known as compact fluorescent lamps.

 

Phenol and its vapours are corrosive to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. Inhaling phenol vapour can cause fluid accumulation in the air spaces of the lungs. The substance can cause harmful effects on the central nervous system and heart, resulting in irregular heartbeat, seizures and coma. Long term exposure to the substance may have harmful effects on the liver and kidneys. We don’t know definitively whether phenol causes cancer in humans, but cancer occurs in mice when phenol is put on the skin.

 

Naphthalene is best known as the main ingredient of traditional mothballs. In China the use of naphthalene in mothballs is forbidden, however naphthalene is widely produced for moth balls and - in a move that smacks of both callous greed and hypocrisy - exported from China. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies naphthalene as possibly carcinogenic to humans and animals. The IARC also point out that acute exposure causes cataracts in humans, rabbits, rats and mice.

 

Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene can damage or destroy red blood cells. Humans, in particular children have developed a condition known as haemolytic anemia (a form of anemia due to the breakdown of red blood cells) after ingesting mothballs. Symptoms include fatigue, lack of appetite, restlessness and pale skin. Contact with large amounts of the chemical may cause confusion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, blood in the urine and jaundice (yellow colouration of the skin).

 

The IARC points out that hemolytic anemia can occur in children and infants after oral or inhalation exposure or after maternal exposure to naphthalene during pregnancy. When the U.S. National Toxicology Program exposed male and female rats and mice to naphthalene vapours on weekdays for two years, male and female rats exhibited evidence of carcinogenic activity based on increased incidences of tumours - benign and malignant - of the nose. Female mice exhibited evidence of carcinogenic activity based on increased incidences of air cell and bronchiolar tumours of the lung.

 

Under California's Proposition 65, an initiative that requires businesses to notify Californians about significant amounts of chemicals in the products they purchase or that are released into the environment, naphthalene is listed as ‘known to the State to cause cancer.’

 

Styrene is regarded as a hazardous chemical, especially in case of eye contact, but also in skin contact, ingestion and of inhalation. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency describes styrene as a ‘suspected toxin to the gastrointestinal tract, kidney, and respiratory system.’ The International Agency for Research on Cancer considers styrene to be ‘possibly carcinogenic to humans’. Chronic exposure to styrene leads to tiredness, memory deficits, headaches and vertigo.

 

“For such carcinogenic substances it is important they are kept as far away as possible from the human environment” said Peter Braun, who carried out the tests at Alab Labaratory in Berlin.

 

However, Mr Braun’s sage advice has been blown out of the water by governments around the world who have passed laws banning the manufacture, importation or sale of filament light bulbs for household use.

 

A European Union directive that kicked in on 1st September 2012 means that retailers in the UK are no longer allowed to sell incandescent light bulbs for household use. The UK Government has proclaimed that the ban will produce an ‘average annual net benefit’ of £108m in energy savings to the UK between 2010 and 2020.  

 

The good news for those of us who value our health and are capable of simply turning lights off when we don’t need them is that retailers have responded to demand for incandescent light bulbs by finding a loophole which enables them to continue to sell the old school favourites.

 

In order to escape the ‘tell them we’re saving the planet but kill and subdue the humans’ agenda you’ll want to avoid buying your light bulbs from supermarkets, most of whom no longer stock our old friend the incandescent light bulb in any shape or form. Instead, seek out rough service light bulbs which are available from specialist lighting and hardware shops and online retailers.

 

Manufacturers have worked out that they are allowed to make and sell incandescent bulbs by describing them on the packaging as ‘rough-service’ lamps that are not for domestic use. The bulbs are the same as the same old filament bulbs but are specially toughened to withstand the knocks and vibrations of industrial settings.

 

If you’re purchasing the rough service bulbs in a face-to-face encounter and face any questions about where they are to be used just tell the shopkeeper it’s for a building site or a factory. This should ensure your continued health and keep the shopkeeper on the right side of this new, ridiculous and highly suspicious law.

Ends